Thursday, November 20, 2008

Artist Interview: Veronique Vanblaere

(2 wheels)
Veronique Vanblaere (Vero) began creating artwork in the early 1990's in Belgium, her native country. she settled in Birmingham, AL in 1996, where, two years later, she opened Naked Art. her artwork varies from constructed lamps with various everyday objects to small hand-painted items like light switch plates, which have found a home all over the US. if you are in the Birmingham area check out Naked Art's Kitschmas opening this friday and running through december 24th.
(naked art)
Where are you from?
Braine-l'Alleud, Belgium

Hobbies other than your art?
Running and learning Spanish at the same time (no joke!)
Reading
Riding my old bike.

How did you start with art/and or why?
I've loved creating things for as long as I can remember. I feel fortunate in being able to make a living doing what I love.

Influences, favorite things to design?
Surrealist movies and paintings. However, more times then not, I find myself inspired by things I encounter in everyday life. I've even created something that was inspired by a song that I heard. Though I'm primarily a painter, I also like to create objects out of recycled materials. I find the 3-D aspect and the fact that I'm, in my own way, recycling, to be more fulfilling.
(louisa's russian side)
Dogs or cats?
I'm a cat person!

Did you vote in this election?
Because I'm not a citizen I can't vote. However, I do think I contributed in my own special way by vowing to become a citizen if Obama won.

Favorite form of transportation and why?
My 1958 Schwinn bicycle that a dear friend's mom gave to me. She's the original owner! It doesn't polute, it's good exercise and a fun way to get to work.


Favorite color?
Orange and red. (Sorry, can't decide on just one!)
(terminal)
Which Star Wars character would you like to be?
Not very familiar, so I guess I can't answer this one.

What is in your fridge right now?
I'm a health freak, and it'd take me hours to type all of it. Mostly veggies, yogurt, cranberry juice and soy milk.

Last book your read?
I've just started "Ensemble, C'est Tout" by Anna Gavalda. I love the Avondale Library!

Favorite movie of all time?
I can't decide between "Harold and Maude" and "Fanfan".

If Hollywood made a movie about you who would you like to play you?
Toni Collette

If you were a salad what type of dressing would you have?
The house dressing is always the best choice.


(tunnel vision) (drawing 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment